CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, December 5, 2008

The Monkey Did It

I headed off to Kohl's to buy one thing- a tie for Drew for his work party tonight. The old Christmas tie, we discovered at 11pm last night, had been attacked by one of the children and was no longer presentable for the mixed company of "the firm". So I was willing to run out with the two little ones while Mady was at preschool to buy another one.

Everything ran smoothly while my favorite 2 year old, Cooper, was strapped safely in his car seat. This was going to be a quick trip so I lugged the baby carrier in one arm and had one hand free to steer Cooper in the store. We arrived at the ties and I picked out a very nice looking one only to discover Cooper had tip-toed off. He just started this, looking back over his shoulder to see if I notice. So I leave the car seat to go find Cooper and luckily just a short way down the aisle he was being detained by a very nice man who, when I walked up calling his name, said "there's your mommy." I lug him back to the tie area and Lillie, all the while lecturing him about staying right by me.

I set him down to pick up the carrier and then I look at the brand of tie and I don't see a specific area for them and I start thinking "what if this tie isn't on sale like all the rest of these ties?" I turn to another rack, find another one and poof, Cooper has disappeared again. This time I see him running straight down the aisle. I watch him and when he turns around I motion him to come back. He looks at me, looks the other way, looks at me, looks the other way, looks at me and takes off. I head after him only to discover when I get to the end he is no where in sight. I go the direction he went and spot him and he spots me and takes off. I put down the carrier and RUN after him. Yes, you heard me and everyone in the store saw me. I grab him and don't let go. I pick up Lillie and we head to check out. I get in the short line where the lady in front of me is almost done checking out. Has anyone else been sucked in by the short line? I swear I have the worst luck in checkout lines. So she says "do you have any of those Curious George dolls? I called and was going to put one on hold but they guaranteed me that you had alot. And now I can't find any." Cashier calling Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum and the Seven Dwarfs on their individual cell phones to find a stinking doll all the while I am struggling with a writhing two year old boy. Can't this lady step aside while I pay for one stinking tie? NO. "I can call up to another Kohl's to see if they have any." Are You KIDDING? For a stuffed animal? Maybe I am out of the loop on this whole Curious George thing.

So the cashier tells me I can go over to the other cashier; she only has one lady in her line. Not thinking, I set Cooper down to pick up Lillie and the tie to head over to the next cashier. Cooper slowly starts scooting towards the door. I keep an eye on him but figure he has learned his lesson. Finally I pay for the tie and go to get Cooper where I had last seen him. He is GONE! No where in sight. I look up and down aisle after aisle while lugging the car seat. Luckily a lady that I know from growing up is there and sees me searching for my runaway and offers to keep Lillie. I start frantically searching for him all the while calling his name. I am holding back tears while trying to remain calm, all the while berating myself for not having gotten a cart in the first place. But this was supposed to be an in and out trip! And then I hear announced over the loud speaker "Code Yellow" and I figure this nice lady who I haven't even seen in over 10 years and is holding my baby has informed the store that I lost my child. And I think "I am a horrible mother and now everyone knows." I decide I should probably check the toys even though we had never been in that section and low and behold there he is sitting on the floor playing with a train. I say " You are in so much trouble mister!" and he just looks at me with his big, blue eyes and says "I poopie mommy."

As I walk up with Cooper in my arms to get my baby, past all of the smiling cashiers who are now cancelling the code yellow, I think this is all Curious George's fault!

16 comments:

Lemon Family said...

It is the worst feeling to not be able to find your kid in a store. But I love the way you tell stories!

Bushel and a Peck Preschool said...

I hate to admit it but 'been there, done that'!! Jared doesn't think I watch the kids in stores and is always amazed when I return with all 3 of them. You are a great storyteller!!

Greg and Tammy said...

Oh dear Ashly. Maybe next time you should send that LAZY-A hubby of yours to get off his DUFF and buy is own tie! :)

Hagberg Fam said...

Kambrie was just like that at that age and to be honest it has been in just the last year that she stopped wandering off. I had that feeling of being scared to death but wanting to beat your child at the same moment!! At least he is cute right!!

Mrs. Morty said...

Man after all that you had to change a stinky? Where is the love? I go nuts when I can't find a kid. I start wondering right away "what if that's the last time I see them" I like to make myself crazy like that.

Kristen said...

Oh man! I bet you don't go out on your own very often. 2 is such a "fun" age!

Anonymous said...

I don't know that I would have handled it as well as you did Ashly. I lost Anthony in Target once and about flipped out after 15 minutes of not finding him before the Code Yellow came on. I about burst into tears too. It's not fun to lose a kid and now you have to ask yourself: was the tie worth it? Lol.

Michael and Kari said...

That's such a scary feeling! You know though, that you're no different from the rest of us.....it happens! I decided after a couple adventures like that, that maybe those people walking around with their kids on leashes don't have such a bad idea after all!

Amalie said...

you are brave for taking two little ones shopping! I go shopping at 10pm when they are sleeping. no lines!

Gretchen said...

I am so sorry that your trip was so eventful, but I have to admit, the whole story and picturing sweet Cooper put a little smile on my face that I couldn't wipe off! Sorry about that! Thanks for keeping me up on my nieces and nephew!

Brenda said...

Seriously, can people not see how they are inconviencing everyone around them? I'm sorry. You can do what I did with Carson who was my wanderer. I brought the dog leash.

Tamara and Marc said...

Ashley,
I have been there my self. Unfortunatly they never seem to learn and every time it happens, I am still scared to death.

Kristen said...

Guess I missed a birthday and an anniversary! Happy, happy days to all of you!

Cara said...

I am SO glad it's not me who has "fun" times with their 2 year olds....been there and done that so many times. I have a leash for such occasions now. It's not worth the heart attack when you can't find them. Way to tell the story!

crazy christensen family said...

Ha Ha Ha HA!! SO have been there many times. Check out my blog to see our latest misadventure!!

Jewel said...

I must say the good folks at Kohls have rescued a child of mine. It wasn't until the employees all huddled and then were instructed to "guard all exits" that my tears began to well up.

It was good to record the emotion of that experience so that when you look back on mothering years you will have realistic memories. And by that time they will be much funnier.