We had an eye-opening visit to the county jail last night for a combined YW/YM activity. I had never been inside a jail before. Shocking, I know! But, let me tell you, this one time made a mighty big impression on me and hopefully on the youth as well.
We had a wonderful and very informative deputy(?) tour guide. The guy was full of statistics and info. Just one window in the jail cost $50,000. It is a supervision type jail. There are about 650 inmates and they are building on another unit to house up to 1000 (not a good sign). 80% of the inmates are LDS. 40% are women. The different wings are named after ski resort in the area. Most of the people in the jail aren't bad people, they just made bad choices and are now paying the consequence. And why are most of the people in jail? DRUGS! And to bring his point home he brought in 3 ladies,22, 23 and 32 yrs old, all in jail for drug use and other related charges, to do a question and answer session. 2 are meth addicts and one is a heroin addict and has the track marks to prove it. As they related their stories of how they got into drugs in their YOUNG teen years, (divorced parents, father died) and how they used the drugs to numb the pain, I couldn't help but think that that one choice changed the course of their lives forever. All are repeat offenders, two have children. And to bring it way too close to home for me, the heroin addict is pregnant and due 10 days before me in August, sleeping on a hard mattress, eating bologna sandwiches every day for lunch, going to doctors appointments in the jail, using the facilities multiple times throughout the day in front of a cellmate! They all definitely don't want to ever return to jail again, but who knows what will happen when they leave and are confronted once again with the people, the places, the choice to use or not use.
I think the one thing I don't want to forget is that doing any kind of drug just one time is too many. I want complete and open communication with my kids. I need to teach my children the Gospel of Jesus Christ and instill in them their self-worth.
It seemed so surreal to be sitting there as they told us what their lives are, what they have become because of their addiction. They seemed so normal, laughing and talking with us. They are just like anyone's sister, daughter, aunt, mom, friend. And then the deputy led them out of the room and back to their 6x12 foot cells.
And then we walked out of the jail and I returned to my home and to my wonderful family. I ate ice cream and pineapple for dessert (yes, I am pregnant!). I said my prayers last night and prayed for those women, our Heavenly Father's daughters who are lost and searching for something. I know that I am a daughter of God and his spirit is with me everyday because I CHOOSE to be obedient. No one will tell me when to get up in the morning or when I can leave my room or make me eat dry bologna sandwiches or make me walk with my hands behind my back or tell me when to talk or when to sleep. Whoever believes that doing whatever you want will bring you happiness and freedom needs to visit the jail.
P.S. If any of the info isn't exactly accurate you other leaders can correct me. I don't have the best memory these days!
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Jail 101
Posted by Ashly at 8:32 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



11 comments:
Wow! That really gets me thinking and grateful for what my life is today. I hope it impacted your youth. I think it would have damaged my psyche when I was a teenager :)
WOW! It sounds like you had an interesting activity and hopefully an impactful one for the kids!
Thanks for making me shed a tear. Now I definatly don't want my children to grow up!!! Hope your YW got scared too.
this would be a great fhe outing for our kids in a few years!! Let's remember and do this!!
It was definitely a memorable activity. We talked about it all the way home, and then I had to keep Chris up late telling him everything I could remember.
We may have a lot of rules and restrictions, but they are put in place to keep us free. What a great activity for those girls!
So you're saying my crack addiction is a bad thing?! As long as I don't get caught. . .
That's quite the experience.
Wow, what an experience! I've never visited a jail either. It makes you so grateful for the choices that we've made.
Hey I got your comment on my blog and I just need your email to send out an invite. Send it to chelsealmonson@gmail.com
Talk about making an impact! What a great idea. Especially with the lasted statistics on drug use in our area. I'm so scared for my kids! What a great experience for our young women. Thanks for sharing!
Great summary. That was such a powerful activity and I know I won't forget it, and hopefully the girls won't either.
Happy Birthday, Emma! From your most forgetful, worst Aunt Kristen. Hope your day is great and that being 7 is everything you had hoped it would be.
Happy, Happiest of Birthdays to you!
Post a Comment