Here is your warning: I am a long-winded story teller and here is more proof. So, if I don't see any comments I will know that you ran out of "blog-stalking" time and didn't make it through to the end.


Our friends, the Christensen's, talked us into going skiing this year and bringing our two oldest girls along. It was the first time for Emma, Mady and myself. Drew had gone once or twice in his tween years, but was not recollecting much. It was all excitement leading up to the actual skiing itself, as both girls had seen the episode of Phineas and Ferb where they build a ski slope in the backyard (and if you know what I am talking about you are as cool as I am) . Once Mady realized that skiing wasn't just riding the chair lift as shown on the show, she was done. She mostly rode inbetween Drew's legs, occasionally practicing the pizza wedge on her own.

Lisa and Gary are both really good skiers, so they were teaching both the kids and us. Below is a picture of them with their daughter Karly. Notice how much fun she is having. She and Mady were on the same page.
This is the only picture I have of Kaleb. He has been skiing many more times than I have and he took off on his own. Every once in a while our paths would cross.

Emma was able to pick up the wedge quite quickly, but got tired and started racing straight down the hill the second time down. I was slowly making my way down after her, due to my lack of skill and technique, yelling "wedge, Emma, wedge"! She crashed quite comfortably in some fluff, but I was traumatized. I saw her life flash before MY eyes. She did so good for it being her first time. I know with a little more instruction and practice she will be a pro.

Emma was able to pick up the wedge quite quickly, but got tired and started racing straight down the hill the second time down. I was slowly making my way down after her, due to my lack of skill and technique, yelling "wedge, Emma, wedge"! She crashed quite comfortably in some fluff, but I was traumatized. I saw her life flash before MY eyes. She did so good for it being her first time. I know with a little more instruction and practice she will be a pro.
Do not take your kids skiing for their first time on your first time
Put your kids in lessons-the instructors are paid to have patience
The pizza wedge hurts=Ashly's Thighs Burn
Sunscreen
You must lift your kids onto the ski lift (Emma almost didn't make it one time)
I wish I had learned all of my lessons that day. But, the story continues......
At the beginning of March Drew's work had a ski day up at the Deer Valley Resort. We invited the Christensen's not only as potential clients, but as our personal ski instructors. They arrived ahead of time to get some quality skiing in before they were saddled with us. So, Drew and I are riding the ski lift up to meet them when, oops, I DROP MY POLE in the middle of some very nice powder. Well, great, this day is starting off quite nicely! We get to the top and Drew being the knight that I married said that he would attempt to retrieve it. I was to ski down the run adjacent to this area and meet him.
He takes off as I try to talk myself into going. It was steep! I attempt to start and just as quickly I fall over on purpose to avoid doing an Emma. I try it again, but I am terrified, and I just sit down. Someone asks if I need help, probably because I look so pathetic. (Drew says, in my defense, this was a blue run, and I had never actually skied, unless you yourself consider the pizza wedge skiing.) I gladly take the help of 2 wonderful angels who literally talk me down the mountain. I can't remember their names, but I wish I could. If it weren't for them I would still be sitting there today. Anyway, Drew waited at the bottom for at least 15 minutes until I slowly arrived.
We finally met up with Lisa and Gary. I was ready to call it a day. But with some assurance that we would go on easier runs I agreed to try it one more time. And to my amazement I really started to enjoy myself. It was fun! I still fell quite a few times.
A couple of hours later the lifts were closing so we headed back. We were getting off the final lift to do our last run down when KERSPLAT! I fall pretty much face first off the lift. Well, I kind of fell on the side of my body with my head making some pretty hard contact. It hurt, but I wasn't going to be a complete wuss after that. I mean, really, who falls off the ski lift? So we finish the run, say our good-byes and head home.
My neck was pretty sore and suddenly I started seeing black spots in my vision. And then I started getting nauseous. And I realized I probably have a concussion.
Needless to say, the ER doctor agreed with me and after some pain meds, a week of rest, and physical therapy I can honestly say that I am feeling better and planning on going skiing again......just not this year. Oh and the irony was that as we sat waiting for the doctor there was this poem on the wall
Learning to Ski
by Roz Rosenbluth
It's a long way down
From the top of this hill,
And I'm terribly frightened
Of taking a spill.
But all of a sudden
I let myself go,
And I find myself flying
Through wind and through snow
The trees all flash by me;
The wind burns my face.
I lose track of time
And I lose track of place.
But I land on my feet
And I'm laughing with glee.
It's a wonderful feeling--
I'm learning to ski!
MORE lessons learned:
Do not attempt a blue run on your first "official" time skiing unless you want to cry like a baby
(I was very close to this)
If you are short, you must scoot yourself forward ahead of time in order to GLIDE OFF the ski lift
( I did not do this, hence the falling off the lift)
Orem Community Hospital is not only a good place to give birth, but they also have a great ER!





10 comments:
Greg and I are giggling like little school kids right now... of course, ummmm... not at your pain, just WITH your pain. :) What a wonderful post. I have similar story (of course, b/c we are twins) about going down a BLACK diamond my very first time. I essentially scooted on my bum the entire way down. Ohhhh. the joys of skiing. I really do enjoy it though and hope that you can enjoy a better season of it next year. :) Those girls are just too cute!!!
i agree, orem community hospital does have a good er! I've had to go there once or twice with Kanoa. What fun stories, I have yet to ski, but I am determined to try in the next couple years. I'm sure my experience will be equally painful.
What an entertaining post! Sorry about all those life lessons though. ha!
My one and only time skiing was with Rob before we were married. We did not pay for lessons and I reconsidered marrying him! I spent a lot of time with a book in the lodge! I am glad you are ok and that you ended up having a fun time. I smiled the whole time I read it!
The first time is always lots of fun. I have skied since I was little but Marc hasn't, So I couple of years I took him. Well the last run of the day he fell and ended up tearing his ACL in his knee and now wont ski again. I am glad to hear that you are ok.
Sounds like it was a fun day.
I'm sorry you had such a rough time. I love skiing but haven't gone in years. We used to go a lot when I was younger (jr. high and high school). I went snowboarding once...never again thank you. The muscles in my thumbs were sore.
Sounds horrendous. I myself have never been, but hope to try it someday.
BTW--going private. What email address is best to use for you?
skiing NO thank you!
Hey we got rid of the home phone too many cell phones!!
Here is my cell
801- 735- 3042
maka is 801-0735 -3161
sorry!
Well, at least you warned us that you are long winded ahead of time. :)
That story is seriously SO funny! I'm in pain from laughing so hard. Of course, I like Greg and Tammy, am laughing with you and not at you...you are still laughing aren't you?
Ashly, you are my bravest friend and I love you for it. Thank you for trying so many new and crazy things with me! It keeps us young, ....I think. There's still time to enter that triathalon! Next season will be so much better cause we'll do the ladies ski clinic together and you'll have Lessley too! I love you and your awesome stories. That was a fun day at Deer Valley-not so much at sundance. Ha HA HA!
Post a Comment