CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 2, 2009

The Cruise

I had mixed feelings. I know, I know, I should have been jumping for joy at the opportunity to go on a *free* cruise to the Caribbean. Drew's work informed us of this gift about a year ago, after I was already pregnant with our sweet Lillie baby. She would be six months old by that time and we would just take her with us, right? We had taken Cooper with us to Mexico when he was just seven months old and that worked out fine, right? Well, with Drew absolutely against that idea, and rumors that no one else in the firm was taking their babies, and on the advise from many others who have cruised and thought it would be hard with a baby, we left all four kids in very capable hands. And off we went on our first vacation ALONE FOR 7 WHOLE DAYS!!!

It was extremely hard building up to it. Not only having to leave a six month old who refuses to take a bottle, but also the other 3 who are still young and need a lot of attention (you all know this from experience). And then there was the packing for us, and packing for them, and preparing for emergencies and our possible death ( I was a bit teary writing up a Will)and writing out instructions which ended up being 7 pages long and I know I could have gone on and on anyway.... we did leave in the middle of a snowstorm on Valentine's Day. And arrived in Florida to beautiful weather! Ahhhhh, sunshine!!! I didn't miss Utah weather one bit! So here are a few pictures to make you jealous.

We thought these life vests were awesome. Before we could leave port we had to have an emergency lifeboat drill. Drew thought it was real, he, he!



Pulling out of port in Florida.

On the beach in Half Moon Cay.

This is my idea of a vacation! I could have done this every day, all day long....with the exception of a nap thrown in there.


Grand Turk, BWI
Our cruise ship, the Ms Westerdam, oh and Drew.

Grand Turk
Stingray City in Grand Cayman
Drew holding a stingray. They were everywhere and "as friendly as cats and dogs." After some initial hysterics, I did hold one for a few seconds, but there was no love between us (mostly not from me), and soon thereafter I exited the water.

Our excursion, not quite what we expected, um, more of a workout really.



Cozumel, Mexico
Beto, our very kind instructor.


Formal night on the boat.

The weather was perfect, the company was entertaining, and the food was good. I didn't have to cook, clean, do laundry, change diapers, do finances, run interference or get up in the middle of the night. And I only cried, with an ache in my heart for my 4 kids, a few times including 3 on the way home. And now with them crying and fighting in the background I am wondering when my next vacation is!
And the baby takes a bottle now thanks to the combined efforts of my sister Brittani and my mom. They manned all 4 kids for the first 24 hours. My sister Ana took time off of work to be a substitute mom for Lillie for the entire week and due to unforeseen circumstances helped out with the older ones as well. My mom took the 3 oldest back to our house and handed them off to Drew's parents mid-week. They came all the way from California to help out. Thanks to MaryAnn for the dress, and Lisa, Ana and Steph for outfitting me for the cruise. And thanks to Trent and Earl for being our chauffeurs to and from the airport. This wouldn't have been possible without you!

8 comments:

Devri said...

Wow ,did you buy the formal, or did you already have one.. I am way jelous!!!

Greg and Tammy said...

WOW!!! HOW AMAZING!!! Greg's firm didn't even give us our normal "retreat" this year!!! I'm so jealous!! IT looks like your ports were wonderful, too! I'm glad you got a break. You deserve it!

Brenda said...

How fun! I'm so glad you braved the separation and ventured out on your own! You totally deserve it! Welcome back to reality, though:)

Hagberg Fam said...

It sounds like you had a great time!! I always cry when I leave my children and then wonder when I come home what I was crying about!!

Leah said...

Sounds and looks like you had a wonderful cruise.

Anonymous said...

This is such a great thing for you and Drew!! I'm so glad you guys got the chance to go! Yay for cruises and time together!

ZAC said...

I'm jealous. You look great. That's all I'm going to say.

Kristen said...

Careful about suggesting visits. We'll hold you to 'em! Pool will open at the end of May...