CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Do NOT Try This At Home

Ok, everyone knows when you start some huge project you are so excited and you think "this is going to be so fun! I am going to learn some new things, and it isn't going to be as bad as other people say it is." Well, our wonderful, huge project for the past YEAR has been finishing our basement. Yes, we started last March and the end is somewhere in the not too distant future. Ok, realistically, HOPEFULLY we will be completely finished, meaning all finish work, by winter of this year.

My father-in-law and mother-in-law have been amazing, traveling from California at least 5 times just to help us with this beast! We feel lucky to have their expertise, because frankly, we would still be standing in the basement one year later staring at the bare walls and thinking "wouldn't it be nice to be able to actually use this space." We have also had friends and family come periodically to help with the framing, heating, and wiring. It is so nice to have people who love you enough to support you when you take on one of these insane projects!


We had a plumber come in and "rough in" our plumbing about 2 weeks ago. This was a major milestone for me personally because my mother-in-law and I were the ones who pounded out the concrete with a hammer and scooped out all of the rocks to get to the tub pipe that the builder had kindly concreted over instead of just adding on the extra pipe and bring it up to the surface of the concrete when they built the house! I was a bit bitter, but was able to take it out on the concrete. It is exciting to see the tub in place and know that all of our hard work had paid off! Our little handyman had to get in on the action.



He was instructed by Grandma to cover his eyes so she could do some more pounding. Look how obedient he is!

The man of the house has been working hard this past week finishing up the little things (I did help put in a few nails and pull some wire) so that the sheetrock can be put up in a week or so. Not by us, we are letting the professionals do this one.

Using a nailgun, one of the new things I learned. Guys can't have all the fun!

Look how much fun they are having!!!

11 comments:

Sarah Anne said...

Look at you with a picture post and everything! That is so awesome you are going to have a basement. Way to go doing most of it yourself. That's quite a task.
I'm loving keeping 'in touch' with you through our bloggy-blogs.

Devri said...

ok ash you should let maka do the sheet rocking and finishing for you, just think it only took 2 1/2 years to do our own house, and the basement is not finished yet, Hey, I am going to deliver at orem, can I have ana's #. I am amazed you feel good enough to get down their and help out. Your boy looks so much like drew. you rock

Kristen said...

Wow! I had no idea that this was such a big area. I'm sure the kids are looking forward to the extra room as much as you are. But what will you do with all of your "spare" time when it's all done?!

Kelly said...

It's looking GREAT! And believe me when I say it's all worth the sweat and tears! You'll love it!!

Brenda said...

I'm mega super ultra impressed. I remember helping Heather and Brett with their basement. Fun times! The only things they contracted out were the plumbing and dry wall. It's a fabulous place now and I know you will feel like all the hard work was worth it! It looks great!

Andrew said...

Wow, your husband must be extremely handy and hard-working, in addition to being incredibly handsome. Well done.

Michael and Kari said...

You're so close! Did you guys decide to go with Bruce for the drywall? Good luck! Kelly's right - it's totally worth it!

Greg and Tammy said...

can't wait to see it done!!

Tamara said...

I nearly had a mental break down when we just repainted/ recarpeted the interior of our house. I don't know how you guys did it! (And you both still look remarkably sane, too...show offs!) :)

Cheryl Anne said...

You are a brave woman! I'm really impressed that you are making such good progress! When we dream of more space, its either an addition or a new house. Neither of which is happening any time soon. SO, anyway, YOU GO GIRL!

Leah said...

Good job! Do you want to senf Drew and his dad over to my house next? We miss you at gymnastics!